Questions about delivering babies in the USA

Frequent Questions

Our Frequently Asked Questions section contains the answers to the inquiries that people most commonly ask us. If you have other questions, please contact us.

Do you offer your services in other cities in the United States of America?

No. We only offer our service in El Paso, Texas. Many people ask if we provide our services in other cities such as New York, San Diego, Miami, Houston, Chicago, etc. because they have family or friends that live there. One of our goals is to provide the best service at the best price, and this is best accomplished right here in El Paso, Texas.

Can I lose my visa if I have my baby in the United States of America?

No. Unless you do not pay your medical bill, you cannot lose your Visa for delivering your baby in the United States of America. If you do not pay your medical bill, your account will be reported as delinquent, and your Visa can be denied or canceled upon renewal or re-entry since a delinquent account contradicts any proof of economic solvency that you provide.

Is having my baby in the United States of America illegal?

Having your baby in the United States/Birthright Citizenship jus soli is not illegal and is a right guaranteed under the Fourteenth Amendment of The U.S. Constitution. The Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution (XIV Amendment) guarantees the right to citizenship to those born within its territory without discriminating on the nationality of the parents. We provide obstetric care to foreigners but do not support those who enter the United States of America illegally without proper documentation (passport/visa).

Even though medical (birth/maternity) tourism is not illegal and your pregnancy is not a reason to deny entry, you must be able to provide proof of economic solvency to pay your medical expenses. Full payment of our service is not required upon your enrollment, but we do offer this option in case a receipt of payment is requested.

Can I have my baby in the United States given President Trump’s new rules regarding birth tourism?

Yes. Previously, in countries where Visas are only approved for short periods, applicants would apply for a tourist Visa for the express purpose of delivering their baby when they were already pregnant. It is still legal to travel to the United States on a tourist Visa to give birth provided that childbirth was not the sole purpose you applied for your Visa. Birth citizenship is still protected under the constitution for all individuals regardless of their nationality.

Upon entry to the United States, it is crucial to be truthful to the interviewing officer regarding your intention to deliver your baby and present all necessary documentation.

Can I be denied entry to the United States of America because of my pregnancy?

Although your pregnancy is not a reason to deny entry to the United States of America, lying to an officer is. Always be honest if questioned about your pregnancy and any other questions the officer may ask. Lack of economic solvency can also be a reason to deny entry to the United States of America. Be prepared to provide supporting proof by having sufficient cash to cover your delivery or by pre-paying your medical expenses and showing your receipt.

What should I inform the immigration officer is my purpose of visit to the United States of America?

Never lie to any officer regarding your intention to give birth in the United States of America. Carry all your medical documentation and be ready to provide proof that you are able to pay your medical fees (cash or receipt if you have pre-paid your medical bills). It is also important to note that immigration officers generally grant permission to the visitor for the amount of time needed to accomplish the purpose of their visit.

I do not have a Visa. How do I go about or, what type of Visa should I apply for in order to come to the United States of America for the purpose of delivery and, will Doctores Para Ti contact the U.S. Embassy on my behalf?

We only provide medical services, we do not provide immigration counseling of any type therefore, we do not and will not contact the U.S. Embassy on your behalf.

Is it safe to travel when pregnant?

Yes, although, if you are traveling to the United States of America because your pregnancy is deemed “high risk” and you are seeking a higher standard of care than is available in your country, it is important to arrive with ample time so we can address your medical situation. Please be aware that the prices listed on our website are for normal non-complicated delivery. High-risk pregnancies and births with complications may require additional fees. All patients should request a medical certificate (fit to fly letter) from their doctor to ensure they are in good health and able to travel.

I want to give birth in the United States of America. What is the process to deliver my baby at your medical center?

You must complete the form located in the contact section of this website and pay a non-refundable enrollment fee of $150 at least two weeks before you arrive. You will need to provide us with the exact date of your arrival in El Paso, Texas, and enter the United States of America legally (Visa or other U.S. permit). The remaining medical fees can be made ​​in person upon your first medical appointment. It is important to have your appointment scheduled before you arrive in El Paso, Texas; otherwise, we cannot guarantee a consultation.

Can I arrive without an appointment and pay the enrollment upon arrival?

No. Since we do not accept walk-ins, it is essential to be enrolled before you arrive since we will not be held responsible if we are unable to see you due to a lack of available time slots upon your arrival. Also, there are patients that, although they have an appointment with us, never arrive during the hour that their appointment was scheduled. In these cases, the appointment is billed from the enrollment fee. Ultimately, we do not see patients who have not enrolled and do not have an appointment before arriving. No exceptions.

How much does it cost to have my baby in the United States of America?

The total cost of our medical service for all self-pay patients (U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Citizens) is $5743 for vaginal delivery and $7418 for Caesarean delivery. Price includes doctors’ fees (obstetric, pediatric, anesthetic), hospitalization, and anesthesia (epidural).

Can I receive a letter of medical responsibility from your medical center?

Yes. After you have enrolled, we can send you a letter of medical responsibility upon your request (sent in PDF format for you to print). No hard copy of the letter is provided.

Please note: A letter of medical responsibility does not guarantee your Visa will be approved nor entry to the United States of America. This decision is made at the discretion of the officer after reviewing all your documentation. Please, note that we offer a medical service and do not provide immigration advice. The best advice is, to be honest, polite, and humble to any interviewing officer.

How long does it take to receive my baby’s passport?

After you have received your baby’s birth certificate, you can apply to expedite your passport at the El Paso Passport Agency located approximately 10 minutes away from the hospital. Receiving your baby’s passport may take 1-3 days.

What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept credit cards (from most countries) and bank wire transfers. Once at our clinic, we will only accept cash payments. Your balance must be paid in full during your first medical appointment with us.

Can I visit your office for an orientation?

Of course, contact us with time to schedule your appointment so we can talk and answer any questions you may have in person. This orientation is $125.

Is it possible to receive a payment receipt by prepaying my medical bill before coming to the United States of America?

Yes. If you wish to pay your medical bill before you arrive, let us know, we can assist you and send proof of payment (all receipts are sent in PDF format). Pre-payment is an optional service we provide to patients who want a receipt to use as proof of economic solvency at the port-of-entry. Although no document can guarantee your entry to the United States of America, showing your medical receipts may help in providing proof of your intent and ability to cover your medical expenses.

Can you provide a zero balance letter after my delivery?

After your delivery and upon confirming that all payments have been made, we can provide a zero balance letter upon request. This letter is recommended since it states that your account is paid in full and no government programs or Medicaid we used to offset your medical bills. This letter is recommended when patients are renewing their Visa.

Do you offer a discount if I pre-pay my medical bill?

No. Our medical service is specialized for international patients, all possible discounts are already included, and no additional discounts are available. Pre-payment is an optional service we provide to patients who wish to have a receipt to be used as an aid for proof of economic solvency at the port-of-entry.

Do you offer a refund of my pre-payment if my trip is cancelled or my baby is born before arriving to the United States of America?

Yes. A refund is available for your pre-payment (before your first appointment) minus a bank transaction and cancelation fee of $149. No refund is available once the doctor has seen the patient.

Is it possible to receive my baby’s birth certificate in another city?

Yes. Contact VitalChek and they can help send you a government issued birth certificate for your baby.

Do you offer payment plans for your childbirth service?

We do not offer our services on credit; however, we have an optional pre-payment program that allows you to make payments before your delivery.

As a foreigner, is there any help for my delivery offered by the government of the United States of America?

No. Services offered by the government are for citizens of the United States of America only. It is essential not to ask for any public assistance since this can be a reason to cancel or refuse the renewal of your Visa. All payments are due upon arrival, before your delivery, to avoid the use of any type of government programs such as Medicaid, CHIP, etc., that are not intended for international patients.

How far in advance should I arrive before my expected date of delivery?

The date of arrival is a personal decision. We try to limit the time you need to be present in El Paso, Texas; however, each case is different, and preferences due to circumstances between each person vary. Historically, the vast majority of patients arrive three weeks before the due date, but we can see you at any time as long as we are notified, and you have an appointment.

Are consultations included in the service? If so, how many consultations are included?

Yes, consultations are included. The number of consultations depends on the time you arrive at El Paso, Texas. Typically, a patient is seen 1-3 times before the date of the delivery. Patients arriving prior to 36 weeks may acquire an additional fee due to the supplementary consultations needed.

Is episiotomy included in the price package? How about anesthesia/epidural?

Yes, both are included in the price package.

How long after the birth of my baby can I return home?

Pediatricians usually recommend babies are at least one week old before traveling by plane. At the same time, at least one week is prudent for the recovery of the patient and processing the baby’s documentation.

Are my lodging accommodations arranged through your medical center?

No. We only provide the medical service related to your delivery, therefore, you are responsible for arranging your own accommodation. If we were to process your accommodation, it will imply that we are responsible for any damage or unpaid debt. Please visit our about page for the most popular accommodations amongst our guests.

I filled out the form on your website. Why didn’t I receive an email?

Some email providers mark our confirmation emails as spam or block them completely. You can check your spam folder to see if the email arrived there. If you are not able to find it there, you can email us at and provide us an alternate email where we can contact you, preferably using Gmail and avoiding Hotmail, Outlook, and Yahoo emails.